A brief guide to SSL Certificates
Secure Socket Layer allows information sent between the website host and your visitors to be encrypted in such a way that should a 3rd party intercept the information they would be unable to read it. They also act to confirm the domain name, owner and server that they are accessing.
Certificates are commonplace on the internet and are symbolised by a padlock icon in the visitor's browser, they are essential for building consumer confidence and, as users become more savvy, they are essential for e-commerce.
This is a general guide to setting up a SSL Certificate, if you are planning to install your certificate on a Valcato Hosting account you can find specific instructions in this knowledgebase article.
- You must generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) from the server. This contains information ensuring the certificate can only be installed on that domain name on that server.
- Copy the CSR into the SSL Certificate configuration wizard.
- You will be presented with a list of email addresses to which the confirmation will be sent. If none of the email addresses exist you must create it before proceeding.
- Check this email address, you will receive a Certificate Request Conformation email. The email contains a link which will take you to a confirmation page, you must then follow the instructions to approve the certificate order.
- Once approved you will then receive an Order Complete email containing your SSL Certificate.
- Copy the certificate code (including the -BEGIN CERTIFICATE- and -END CERTIFICATE- tags) and send it to the server.
- It may then be necessary to activate the certificate on your website depending on the server's software
Was this answer helpful?
This guide will take you step-by-step through installing one of our SSL certificates on our...
When you generate a new Certificate Signing Request in cPanel you must use the appropriate two...
One of the integral parts of a certificate is its set expiration date which cannot be changed....
If you have purchased a GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium certificate you can insert your dynamic site...
These instructions show how to identify the expiration date of an SSL certificate in Firefox and...